I love James Pyles, my friend who hosts and writes My Morning Meditations. I pretty much knew that when I posted my ‘rather provocative challenge‘ that he would show up… I just didn’t expect to be described, albeit tongue in cheek, as a heresy hunter. Honestly, I’ve read his blog long enough to know the shoe fits his foot. But, it is funny, anyway.
His post, however, made me consider several thought trails…
My first thought was, “What would Rav Shaul/Paul have done if he had access to the internet? Would he have contended for truth on a blog among other medium? Would all of his blog posts have been cookies and cream, hugs and ‘get along,’ or would he have occasionally brought the hammer? Isn’t he provocative at points?”
That led to my immediate second thought, “Don’t we have more than just one tool in the tool bag? Continue reading “Heresy Hunting, or Truth Telling?”
Romans 12:15 (NIV) “…mourn with those who mourn.”
For the last ten years or so, 9/11 has been a day of remembrance and sorrow. Nationally, we cannot forget that date. It is forever burned in the memories of any who watched, and we have told our children who may not have witnessed the horror.
Imagine for a moment if, against massive statistical odds, we could look back at numerous disasters that fell on that same date: 9/11! How then, as a people would we feel about that date? What if the combined deaths from those tragedies, always on (or very near) that date, totaled in the tens of millions? Blackness. Grief. Mourning!
There is such a date, and it begins at sundown tonight. It is Tisha B’Av, or ‘the ninth of Av.’
Against all statistical odds, this date has proved more disastrous for the Jewish people than any other date in history! On this day,
- 587 BCE Solomon’s Temple breached and burned/destroyed by the Babylonians.
- 70 CE Second Temple destroyed by Romans.
- 135 CE Bar Kokhba rebellion put down and 100,000 Jews slaughtered at Betar.
- 1096 CE First Crusade began by killing 10,000 Jews in first month and 1.2 million before it ended.
- 1290 CE Jews expelled from England.
- 1306 CE (10th of AV) Jews expelled from France.
- 1492 CE (7th of AV) Jews expelled from Spain.
- 1941 CE SS Officer Heinrich Himmler received approval to implement the ‘Final Solution,’ i.e. Holocaust.
- 1942 CE Jews in Warsaw Ghetto deported for Treblinka (death camp).
And those are just the biggies…. Many more tragedies fell on Tasha B’Av or within a day or so. Very strange… and sad.
How am I, as a non-Jewish follower of the Jewish Messiah, to react? Continue reading “…Mourn with those who mourn.”